Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Sober Eagle vs. The Milk

Dear blog,

Well, today is March 5th. Four years ago today I had my first day of sobriety. Sobriety from what? I hear you ask. Well, no I don't, but I'm assuming you would ask, since you don't know anything about me blog. So I shall enlighten thee. After I just barely survived Graph vs. Host Disease (my body was rejected by the bone marrow transplant that had been used to get me in remission from the leukemia), my body was bloated, disfigured, and to me, disgusting. I hated how I looked, hated how I felt, always in pain, depressed, you name it. So to hide all of that crap away and not have to think about it, I began to heavily abuse my medications, of which there was a LOT. On a regular basis I was popping 15-20 pills in one go, and would spend several hours in a drugged stupor, feeling very relaxed for a bit. It was a way to escape all of what had happened to me, but it wound up doing a lot more damage than it did good. I lost friends, hurt people, nearly died a couple times, and by using the drugs like that, couldn't face the truth and start moving on with my life. After about a year of this, I went into an outpatient rehab program and started to get clean. Several times I relapsed, pressure and stress getting to me in my weakened state, but I persevered. A little less than a year after I started rehab, I abused my pills for the last time and that was in early 2010. March 5th to be precise. Ergo the post today explaining all of this. It's been nice being clean, I like having my own thoughts back and control of my actions, even if I make mistakes, they're MY mistakes and I can learn from them. I can remember things now, my mind is my own. For me, that's really the most important aspect of any of this, having control of myself again.

Now I know in my last post I talked about posting a story, but there is a bit you should know about it first before I put it here. Nick and I were working on our books a couple weeks ago and we decided to do a writing exercise. I picked one out that said something along the lines of: "Write a gruesome ending to a story. Just a random story and only write the ending to it." We modified it a bit and wrote a gruesome ending to a short premise, which went like this: A man is sent out to get milk for his kid by his wife, and now he is heading back home after getting the milk. Well we started writing, and 10 minutes later, this happened:
(Note: If you aren't a fan of overly gory things, you probably shouldn't read this)

"Jacob looked up at the sky and squinted. Something was hovering up above, following him. He cradled the milk like he did his young daughter and picked up the pace. Suddenly, a massive weight slammed into his back, sending him sprawling milk-first into the ground. The container exploded, spreading the white liquid every which way. Jacob groaned and looked around. Red was beginning to seep into the pool of milk, tainting it pink. Blood. His blood.


It felt like spears had impaled him. The thing above him shifted, and he craned his head to see a massive eagle glaring hungrily at him, the size of a bus. He opened his mouth to scream, and the eagle opened its beak with a triumphant cry before slamming down with one deft peck and stabbing Jacob through the head with the sharpened tip. 

Jacob's body gave a little twitch, spasmed, and went still. Blood gushed from the massive wound as the eagle spread its wings and began to haul the lifeless body up into the air, bits of brain leaving a trail so gruesome not even Hanzel and Gretel would follow it. The chicks would feast well tonight. The milk continued to spread, and in the distance, a baby began to cry."

And it's fine to read again if you skipped the story.
Look, I said it was gruesome. Was I lying blog? I don't know if you're squeamish or not, my guess is not, since you're just an extension of my brain first and foremost, and a digital entity that probably doesn't care much for humans second and aftmost (I don't think that's a thing). Either way, I hope you liked it.


 And in space news, scientists were able to measure the spin of a supermassive black hole 6 billion, yes BILLION lightyears away, with a lightyear being 6 trillion miles. 6 trillion times 6 billion equals...a lot of miles. That's far, really far. To top it off, the black hole was spinning at 50% the speed of light. That's fast (186,000 miles a second), really fast. It's pretty cool looking too. The purple things are the galaxy that the black hole is in, and actually the light comes from the massive energy coming out of the black hole (the object is called a quasar). The reason there appears to be more than one of them is because light is being twisted by a large galaxy in front of it (gravitational lensing), quadrupling up the image so you see it multiple times. Nifty, right? Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that. If you agree blog, here's a link to check it out: Cool Space Link to Click On


Well I think that about wraps up this edition of me talking to a blog by typing and not speaking the entire time. Yup. Fun stuff. Have a good night blog.

Sincerely, Your Sober Master, Andrew

1 comment:

  1. I did skip the story, sorry. Self abuse is a weird affliction, eh? Take a bad situation and add shame. Take a good situation and turn it to shame. Who is this monster inside us?

    ReplyDelete