Monday, July 14, 2014

Recovery Part 2 (With Gratuitous Dinosaur Fact)


Hi blog! 

Again, a small hiatus. This time with no real reason other than I have not been feeling too great, so I subsequently didn’t feel up to writing anything. Don’t worry, I’m not sick or anything, but I have been suffering through a particularly brutal bout of rabid insomnia for nearly two weeks now. I am not entirely sure why it has cropped up, but I do know that I haven’t gotten more than four hours of sleep in a single night since it began. It’s also taken a long time to actually get tired enough to fall asleep, so I’ve been falling asleep no sooner than 3 or 4 am, sometimes after 6 am when it’s particularly bad. This is not exactly new for me, I've had trouble sleeping for several years, although a couple years ago it got extremely bad (similar to the level it is now, but over a period of over a year. I have no idea how I functioned during that time to be honest), but eventually calmed down a bit. Still, I can't remember the last time I consistently got more than 6 hours of sleep. Anyways, this recent round of insomnia makes it somewhat hard to think, so this blog post probably won’t be the sort of stellar work you’re used to seeing written upon thy blank ephemeral body...or something.


Well, let’s get to the more important part of the post: my health. I saw my doctor on Monday (part of the reason for the delayed post), and after an ever-increasing amount of work with my at-home physical therapy, he was incredibly pleased with my progress. When I last saw him, he explained that when I was fully healed I would probably be looking at a little over 90 degrees in my range of motion in a couple directions due to the condition of the muscles over the last six years (they have been “stuck” in a very narrow range for quite some time, so stretching them back out would be a difficult, if not impossible task for me to achieve). However, the last measurement I had of my range of motion was 104 degrees when I raise my arm straight up, almost 15 degrees better than I was expected to have in over a year, and that happened in less than a month! Already I’m exceeding expectations set for me a year from now, and I’m exactly one month out from surgery. This astounded my doctor and, needless to say, pleased him greatly to see me overachieving like this (I'm also overachieving in my insomnia apparently). I’m actually doing so well that my right shoulder is now better than it was prior to the surgery and is getting close to matching my left shoulder (which was slightly better than the right before I had the surgery), and looks like it will soon surpass it. I've also been allowed to start weening myself off of my sling, so when I'm resting or just getting up for a couple minutes, I usually leave my sling off and cradle my arm to me like a very short, unfeathered, pink T-rex.

I can’t really claim all that much is going on with me. I haven’t done a lot of writing, just a few paragraphs here and there. Anytime I go to sit down to write, I’m either too tired or not motivated enough to do all that much. After just a few minutes I hit a wall and find myself staring at a mocking page, laughing at me and doing a hateful writer’s block dance. I would love nothing more than to reach through my computer and strangle the everliving crap out of it. Alas, I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to strangle an anthropomorphic metaphor, but I’d have to ask a scientist to be sure about that. 

No writing excerpts today, Nick is currently in Spain doing some sort of demonic hell race, probably with bulls in it, so I haven’t seen him this week. But if I can manage to defeat, or at least stave off, my writer’s block, then I might have something for you next update. No promises though, I hate to make a promise and not keep it. Your word is important after all. Right blog? Hm, still no answer. I guess the blog isn’t self-aware yet.

Run Nick RUN! (Not actually Nick)
Ciao blog and readers of blog.

Your insomniac updater,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment