Thursday, July 24, 2014

Top Ten Zen #1: A Single Step


Hi blog (and others),

For the next week and a half you will get to read a co-authored list of "Top Ten Zen" philosophies penned by myself and Nick Hollon. "What's that all about?" I hear you asking (my hearing is exceptional, watch out). Well, how about you read the thing below this and find out?














Top Ten Zen

The authors of this ten-part series are close friends who have worked together on numerous collaborations in the past, and thus decided, “Hey, what’s one more?”

The idea for this Top Ten Zen list came into being after Nick returned from a 100-mile race in the Pyrenees and told Andrew about his fantastical experience using Zen teachings and positive thoughts to help him get through his grueling race. To Nick’s surprise, Andrew proceeded to explain that many of these concepts Nick found in a book were similar to ones he used to battle both cancer and the cure. After much head scratching, the two of them produced “Top Ten Zen,” which includes Zen quotes as well as personal interpretations and stories.

They have compiled a list comprised firstly of a quote, either concocted by the authors or someone else, an interpretation of said quote, and finally a story to drive the point home. By putting their work side by side for comparison, the authors offer a preview into their books, Ultra Souls: The Tale of Mr. 3000 and Life Has No Title.

These Top Ten Zen-like philosophies can aid you in doing anything from completing a 100-mile race to surviving cancer, or obtaining any goal you set your mind to.

“Vell,” Andrew said in a suspect German accent, “It is about time ve start Zen.” Nick groaned.




One step at a time

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

The Survivor’s Take: Tackling a large problem, whether it be treatment or planning for the future, is far easier if you break it up into smaller problems and take them on one at a time.
The Runner’s Take: Break down the race into smaller segments, don’t try to take on the whole distance at once.

Survivor’s Tales: I’ve had a lot of surgeries. I mean a lot. To date, I’ve had seven major surgeries on seven different joints (one joint was done twice and two were done at the same time), plus a slightly less major one to fix a tear in my abdominal wall. I knew I was going to be in for a rough ride almost from the get go when I found out that my bones were degenerating and my joints disintegrating. The overwhelming anxiety of all the upcoming replacements acted as a crippling force for months until I trained myself not to look at the whole picture of replacing anywhere from two to eight joints, but instead just one surgery at a time. And wouldn’t you know it, shortly afterward my stress and depression began to lessen (with a bit of help) and I didn’t feel so scared about these life-changing events that would soon take place one by one until I was a cyborg of epic proportions.

Mountain Tales: Two weeks ago I participated in Ronda del Cims,
Europe’s most intimidating and difficult 100-mile footrace. And 100 miles is a hell of long way to go for anyone, especially when you throw the endless rocks, tree roots and mountain passes that I encountered throughout the race. So how do you overcome that? You break it up. Never once did I think about the fact that I was running a 100 miles, no I was running to the next aid station, headed to the next climb or sometimes even just taking the next step. By making the race bite size and taking it on piece by piece, you’ll find yourself running happier and more efficiently than ever before.

Waiting for cyborg part 6 of 8


Of course, just because we are sharing our own extreme examples does not mean that these philosophies are all strictly for extreme situations. We share these because they can be used by anyone in the proper situations and we invite you (the reader) to take these helpful tips into the world to use as you see fit. It is both mine and Nick's hope that these do some good somewhere, and so we wish you luck in your journey of a thousand Zen-filled steps.

Andrew Bundy
Nick Hollon

1 comment: